Synthetic "Whalebone" - 6 mm X 1.5 mm - 50 meter roll - SAVE 15%
Please select all options.
In the 18th century, stays were most predominately made using baleen, known by whalers who harvested it as whalebone. The keratinous material found around the upper jaws of Baleen (Whalebone) whales was a strong material that provided support in undergarments while being flexible. It could be molded to shape thru heat and could be split down to the tiniest of bones while still maintaining strength. Baleen was still being used on into the 19th century when steel began to replace it. Our synthetic "whalebone" is manufactured in Germany specifically for the corsetry market.
- Unlike other plastic boning, including zip ties it more closely resembles whalebone and can be molded and shaped with a hot iron.
- The 6mm boning is universal measuring approximately 1/4 inch.
- You can use it in early 18th century stays as well as later 18th century stays.
- It also works well for the , the 19th as well as the 20th century.
- Perfect for a variety of eras! Sold by the 50 meter (54.69 yards) roll.