Synthetic "Whalebone" - 6 mm X 1.5 mm - 50 meter roll - SAVE 15%
In the 18th century, stays were predominately made using baleen, known by whalers who harvested it as whalebone. The keratinous material found around the upper jaws of Baleen Whales was a strong material that provided support in undergarments while being flexible. It could be molded to shape and could be split very thinly, while still maintaining strength. Baleen was still being used into the 19th century when steel began to replace it. Our Synthetic "Whalebone" is manufactured in Germany for the corsetry market.
- Unlike other plastic boning, our Synthetic "Whalebone" more closely resembles whalebone and can be shaped with a hot iron.
- The 6mm boning measures approximately 1/4 inch.
- You can use it in early 18th century stays as well as later 18th century stays.
- It also works well for the 19th and 20th century.
- Perfect for a variety of eras!
- Our Synthetic "Whalebone" is sold by the 50 meter (54.69 yards) roll.
Please select all options.